Thursday, November 12, 2015

Broad Rice Noodles with Chiles, Pork and Basil

"Monthly Featured Chef Event : Mark Bittman", the theme for this week at I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC). I've made Mark Bittman's Broad Rice Noodles with Chiles, Pork and Basil for our afternoon lunch, and it was very tasty.


I have added fresh crunchy bean sprouts to the noodle dish, as I do like some kind of vegetables in my stir-fry noodles, and bean sprouts are always great in a stir-fry noodle dish. However, do not overcook the bean sprouts, you would want them to be cook but still crunchy. I've used crushed red pepper flakes instead of small dried hot red chillies, and have omitted the sugar. And I've added a few drops of black soy sauce.



Fresh broad rice noodles

Recipe uses dried broad rice noodles which needed to be pre-soaked in warm water before draining off and used for cooking. I have however, used fresh broad rice noodles from the market, so there's no need to pre-soak them before cooking. Fresh broad rice noodles is a common ingredient over here, and can be found in any morning wet market or even from any supermarkets.


Thai Basil plant from my garden pot. 

I've used Thai basil leaves from my garden pot. The plant is setting out flowers and I have to trim down the plant so that they would continue to grow lush green leaves instead of more flowers . Found this noodle recipe from Mark Bittman that uses Thai basil leaves, just perfect for a weekday lunch.


A simple, stir-fry noodle dish that makes a good meal anytime of the day. Very tasty! With homegrown basil leaves, even better! As with stir-fry dishes, this is quick, simple and easy to cook. For added spiciness, I've added more crushed red pepper flakes on my plate!


Broad Rice Noodles with Chiles, Pork, and Basil
(adapted from "Easy Weekend Cooking", Mark Bittman)
Makes about 4 servings
12 ounces rice noodles (fettuccine-width)
2 tablespoons peanut (preferred) or other oil
1 tablespoon minced garlic
5 small dried hot red chiles, or to taste (I've used crushed red pepper flakes)
1/3 to 1/2 pound ground pork (preferred) or other ground meat, such as beef or turkey
1 tablespoon soy sauce and 2 tablespoons fish sauce (nam pla or nuoc mam), or a combination of either
1 tablespoon sugar (omitted)
2 tablespoons rice (preferred) or other vinegar
1 cup shredded fresh basil leaves
salt, if necessary
crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
about 2 cups of bean sprouts (my addition)
a few drops of black soy sauce (my addition)

  1. Soak the noodles in warm water to cover until soft; this will take from 15 to 30 minutes. You can change the water once or twice to hasten the process slightly, or you can simply cook the noodles as you would any other, taking care not to overcook. Drain thoroughly, then toss with half of the oil.
  2. Heat the remaining oil over medium-high heat in a wok or large, deep non-stick skillet for a minute or so, until the first wisp of smoke appears. Add the garlic and chiles and cook, stirring, for a minute. Add the meat and turn the heat to medium. Cook, stirring and mashing with a wooden spoon to break up clumps.
  3. When almost all traces of red or pink disappear, add the soy and/or fish sauces and sugar; stir to mix. Add the drained noodles (black soy sauce and bean sprouts if using) and toss and stir to combine. Add the vinegar and most of the basil. Stir and taste; add salt if necessary. Serve, garnished with the remaining basil and passing the crushed pepper on the side.

I'm linking this post to I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC), theme for this week,
Monthly Featured Chef Event : Mark Bittman



and 
 photo 77951578-1914-4b72-8eda-9e40a91183ac_zps331eb4b4.jpg



12 comments:

  1. Looks yummy and heart the basil in this dish :-) Nowadays, instead of bean sprouts, I use cabbage for fried noodles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every Bittman recipe I've come across looks delicious and this one is no exception. I miss the flavor of Thai basil. Where I live it's rare to find fresh Italian basil let alone any other varieties.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Joyce ,
    Love the way you prepared this dish , I also grow my own herbs . I am pinning to make later . Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. yummm.... I love bean sprouts, sadly we dont get them here and the canned ones are horrible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Joyce,
    I like to add bean sprouts to noodles too. This plate of yours look yummy ^-^!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joyce, your version of this dish using koay teow looks delicious! Yes, taugeh is a good addition :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a delicious dish, Joyce! I really like your additions too. I envy your basil plant still growing outdoors. I clipped the last branches of mine before the last frost and have them rooting in a jar on the kitchen window sill.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Noodle dishes are always what I crave for lunch. This one is plated so pretty with the red pepper flakes and your home-grown Thai basil. Yum! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your fresh broad rice noodles are very pretty! This is a lunch I would look forward to eating. Love the spicy heat of the red pepper flakes, the crunch of the bean sprouts, and the little bits of pork. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Adding bean sprouts is such a delicious idea. Envious of your blooming basil plant while mine has been obliterated by the cold weather.

    ReplyDelete