Saturday, July 9, 2016

Club Sandwich with Lemon and Garlic Chicken

This week's theme at I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC), is "On The Barbie!" It's time to take out the grill or the grill-pan. Since I do not have an outdoor grill, it will have to be the grill-pan in the kitchen! Made Curtis Stone's, Club Sandwich with Lemon and Garlic Chicken,  "simplified"! And it is smacking good!


As with grilled sandwich, what you need are some crusty breads to start with. I've used my homemade Semolina Bread,  great for making grilled sandwiches.
Spread slices of bread with butter (instead of oil as per the recipe) and toast in a grill pan until crispy. 


Chicken breast marinated with crushed garlic, lemon juice and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and cook in a grill pan about 3-5 minutes on each side until cooked through.



Spread some mayonnaise on one slice of the bread, top with the chicken breast, and some lettuce, then place another piece of bread on top. Enjoy! We certainly did! The chicken was so moist and tasty! This is such a simple yet so delicious sandwich!

I did make some changes by omitting a few steps. I did not make the potato chips to serve with this sandwich, and skip the mayo aioli and avocado. I've used mayonnaise straight from the jar to spread onto the bread, and have replaced the rocket leaves with lettuce instead.


Club Sandwich with Lemon & Garlic Chicken
(adapted from coles, com, recipe by Curtis Stone)
2 tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup (60ml) lemon juice
3 cloves garlic, crushed
2 x 500gm chicken breast fillets
1 kg potatoes, peeled, cut into 5mm batons (omitted)
1/3 cup (100gm) whole-egg mayonnaise
8 x 1cm thick slices Coles Bakery Stone Baked Pane di Casa (I use my homemade Semolina Bread)
cooking oil spray
4 slices prosciutto (omitted)
50gm baby rocket leaves (use lettuce leaves)
1 avocado, mashed (omitted)

  1. Combine oil, 2 tablespoons of the lemon juice and two-thirds of the garlic in a glass or ceramic dish. Season. Halve chicken breasts crossways to make two thinner pieces, Add to the marinade and toss to coat. Set aside for 15 minutes to marinate.
  2. Heat oil to 180C in a medium saucepan over medium heat (when the oil ready, a cube of bread will turn golden in 20 secs). Cook chips, in batches, for 3 minutes or until golden and crisp. Drain on paper towel.
  3. Meanwhile, combine mayonnaise, remaining lemon juice and remaining garlic in a small jug. Season. Heat a barbecue grill or chargrill on medium. Spray bread lightly with oil. Cook for 1-2 minutes each side or until golden and crisp. Transfer to a plate. Cook prosciutto on grill for 1-2 minutes each side or until crispy. Transfer to a plate and cover to keep warm.
  4. Cook chicken on grill for 3 minutes each side or until cooked through. Spread 4 slices of bread with mashed avocado. Top with chicken, rocket, prosciutto and aioli. Top with remaining bread. Serve with chips.


I'm linking this post with I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC), theme for this week
"On The Barbie"

and



8 comments:

  1. It looks delicious, Joyce! Semolina bread is a favorite of mine and I like that yours is homemade, a must try for me! The chicken with the garlic and all sounds like a great sandwich!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got such gorgeous grill marks on both your bread and your chicken. Grill pans rock! I used mine this week too--and all the time since my barbecue (which I rarely used) rusted out and I never replaced it.

    Your sandwich looks delicious--thanks for sharing it with Souper Sundays too! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Joyce,
    I couldn't agree more ... this chicken sandwich is soooo yummy ... with home-baked Semolina bread :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We own an outdoor grill, but I am not a huge fan of it. What a delicous Club Sandwich !

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks delicious, and not too difficult - will have to get it on my menu soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a delicious end use for your beautiful semolina bread. The chicken is succulent and perfectly cooked.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The grilled chicken looks so yummy. It stirred my appetite. Can't beat the homemade bread. Great job in putting it all together.

    ReplyDelete